"And the angel said unto them, Fear not: I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men" (Luke 2:10-14).
What is the real meaning of Christmas? It depends on who you ask. For many in society, Christmas is just another holiday or another season to make money. Christmas means jolly ol' Saint Nick is on his way to find out whose been naughty and whose been nice; that the halls are decked with bales of holly, lights, trees, and and shiny things.
For some, Christmas means family and foods from festive recipes loaded with sugar, spice and everything nice. Christmas to the sports fan can mean its the season for basketball and football - games galore, college rivalries, bowl games, NBA and so much more.
For others though, Christmas means not gladness but sadness, worries and stress about mounting bills, which gifts to get and which gifts to give. It is the most dreaded time of the year. It is sad when gift-getting and gift-giving overshadow our greatest Gift, Jesus the baby in a manger, wrapped in swaddling clothing, when Christmas is lost.
The real meaning of Christmas, though, can be found in Scripture in the greeting the angel(s) gave the shepherds the night Jesus was born (Luke 2:10-14).
The real meaning of Christmas is...
1) That God loves man: “Fear not” (v10); (See also John 3:16 and 2 Timothy 1:7)
2) That God’s love is manifested” “For, Behold,” (v10); (See also 1 John 3:1)
3) That God showed His mercy before man sought it” “I bring,” (v10); (See also Romans 5:6-8)
4) That good tidings and joy are for every individual: “you,” (v10); (See also Acts 13:32)
5) That God is no respecter of persons: “to all people,” (v10); (See also Isaiah 52::10 and Romans 2:11)
6) That salvation from sin is within reach of everyone (v11). (See also Acts 4:12)
7) That God wants man to enjoy peace on earth, and good will among men (v 14) (See also John 14:27).
Happy New Year from Jesus Saves Ministries, Louisvillle
Celebrating 12 Years of Lifting Up Jesus Christ!