In John 13, Jesus washes his disciples’ feet. He does this just before the Passover Celebration. It was the very night that Jesus instituted the ordinance of the Lord's Supper at the Passover Meal. There, He gave an object-lesson on servant-leadership and humility. Scripture says he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, and pour water in a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples' feet and wipe them with his towel (vs. 4-5). In verses 14-17 He says, “And since I, the Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. How true it is that a servant is not greater than the master. Nor or messengers more important than the one who sends them. You know these things-now do them! That is the path to blessing” (NLT).Many Christians claim to be walking with Jesus, but often their walk doesn't match their talk. Many Christian leaders boast of having authority to cast out demons, heal the sick, and perform miracles, but are rarely seen serving the least of these. If we are going to lead like Jesus,preach like Jesus, teach like Jesus, and love like Jesus, we must begin by serving like Jesus. Jesus was the perfect servant-leader. The Scriptures tell us that being a true servant-leader is how one receives the abundant blessing that so many people magically "claim" nowadays, only there is nothing magical about servant-leadership. It takes hard work, compassion, and commitment.
Here is what God does for the humble:
- God give joy to the humble. "The humble will see their God at work and be glad. Let all who seek God's help live in joy. Psalm 69:32.
- God rescues the humble. "You rescue those who are humble." Psalm 18:27
- God takes care of the humble. "Though the Lord is great, he cares for the humble, but he keeps his distance from the proud." Palm 138:6.
- God supports the humble. "The Lord supports the humble, but he brings the wicked down into the dust." Psalm 147:6.
- God fills the humble with fresh joy. "The humble will be filled wsith fresh joy from the Lord. Those who are poor will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel." Isaiah 29:29.
"Those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." Matthew 23:12
Jesus Saves Ministries, Celebrating 10 Years of Lifting Up Jesus Christ!